This article will show you how to create a special page in WordPress that lists your most popular content. I had enhanced another plugin’s code to allow you to easily do this and he has already incorporated into the latest version!
I have no idea why Wordpess doesn’t simply include the number of page views in the posts file, but it doesn’t. In order to track your page views in a way that you can actually access them, you need to use two different plugins. The good news is that if you acted upon my article 11 Must-Have Plugins for Every WordPress Site, then you already have them. If not, you’ll need to download both of these plugins:
Since the original author has already included my updates, simply installing the plugin will allow you to create your popular posts page!
1. Create a new page in WordPress. Call it something like “Top 10 Posts” or “Our Most Popular Content” or something like that.
2. Insert the following shortcode into the page. This code creates a nice top 10 list, complete with title, number of views, excerpt, and its cached for performance. Just be SURE you paste this into the WP page in HTML or the editor will screw up the HTML formatting in the format= parameter.
[wp_popular_posts title=” number=10 list_tag=ol format=’<a href=”%post_permalink%” title=”%post_title_attribute%”>%post_title%</a> (%post_views% views)<p>%post_excerpt%</p>’ excerpt_length=200 cachename=popular-posts-page]
If you want to make changes to any of the above suggested parameters to retrieve a different number of posts or display things differently, then check out the original author’s WordPress Popular Posts Plugin FAQ.
And how would this article be complete with showing you my most popular content? Here’s our list generated directly via the above shortcode.
XtremelySocial.com Most Popular Content
- My Info: Custom Tabs (20,748 views)
My Info lets you place any HTML in a custom tab on your Facebook business or fan page. It fully supports the new Facebook "timeline" layout. Add images and links, even certain music and video files....
- Home (19,467 views)
Our Community XtemelySocial.com is all about community! You can see a list of your Facebook friends and even your Facebook news stream! Feel free to introduce yourself or provide...
- How To Allow Users To Invite Facebook Friends On Your WordPress Site (19,048 views)
In my first article about Wordpress, I'll show you how to easily add a page to your Wordpress site that allows your users to invite their Facebook friends to check out your website. You'll first...
- My Greetings (9,301 views)
My Greetings for Facebook lets you share your mood and greetings to your friends. There are over 400 icons to choose from, including birthdays, holidays, drinks, all major sports teams, and more.
- How to Make an Awesome Maintenance Mode Screen for WordPress (8,852 views)
Whenever you update your WordPress site to a new version or mass update multiple plugins at the same time, WordPress automatically places your site in "maintenance mode". In this tutorial, I'll show...
- Smashing Magazine: 100 Free High Quality WordPress Themes: 2010 Edition (8,270 views)
It’s hard to believe that a year has passed since our last WordPress theme collection, but there you have it – the time has come again. Once a year we feature the most useful and...
- My Status: New Facebook Profile Publisher (7,887 views)
I'm very excited to announce that you can now use My Status to update your Facebook and Twitter status from within the built-in Facebook profile publisher. My Status can now be used on your Facebook...
- My Info: How to Show off your Facebook Page on your Personal Profile (7,806 views)
- Your Facebook Stream (6,659 views)
Log in with your Facebook ID to view your Facebook news stream, including all status updates, pictures, links, notes, etc. just like on your Facebook home page.
- My Status (6,221 views)
My Status shows you all your past Facebook status updates and lets you easily update your status or like or comment on past statuses.