Flat Bootstrap WordPress Theme
Modern, responsive, “flat” style theme
Full Width Images and Sections
Set full-width “featured images” and use the included color palette to create stunning colored horizontal sections for your content.
Tons of “shortcodes” for your page content
Columns, buttons, icons, labels, badges, tabbed and collapsible areas, progress bars, carousels (sliders) and more!
Flat Bootstrap is a modern, fully responsive, “flat” style theme with a nice color palette, big full-width images, and full-width colored sections.
It automatically adapts for desktops, tablets, and phones. It is based on the standard WordPress starter theme (_S) and the Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework. The theme was inspired by the HTML/CSS themes from Blacktie.co and color schemes from Designmodo.com’s flat UI.
Features include a mobile navigation bar, multiple columns (grid), buttons, icons, labels, badges, tabbed content areas, collapsible content areas, progress bars, alert boxes, carousels (sliders) and much, much more. This is a theme for both users and theme developers with lots of features but without the bloat.
- Fully responsive theme that changes layouts for desktop, tablets, and phones
- Modern, “flat” style theme with beautiful color palette
- Big full-width featured images on any page
- Full-width colored sections
- Hundreds of icons from Bootstrap and Font Awesome
- Variable column footer with 1 to 4 columns
- Includes a child theme you can use to start customizing your site and still be able to receive updates to the Flat Bootstrap theme.
- Full-width page with colored page header
- Full-width page without page header
- Full-width page with three (3) most recent posts (in columns on desktop)
- Page with right sidebar (default)
- Page with left sidebar
- Page without sidebar
- Site Index with search, pages, categories, tags, and recent posts listings
We’ve even included the ability to have individual posts be full-width as well.
Our “shortcodes” aren’t really shortcodes… you simply use the standard Bootstrap markup, such as < div class=”whatever”>. If you really like shortcodes instead, you can download either of these plugins. They both work just fine with this theme.
- Colored buttons
- Colored message boxes (alerts)
- Tabbed content areas
- Collapsible content areas
- Sliders (carousels)
- Everything else that the Bootstrap CSS framework has to offer!
WordPress Features Supported
custom-background, custom-header, custom-menu, featured-image-header, featured-images, flexible-header, fluid-layout, full-width-template, left sidebar, light, one-column, responsive-layout, right sidebar, rtl-language-support, sticky-post, theme-options, threaded-comments, translation-ready
Why We Wrote this Theme
There are thousands of WordPress themes and dozens of Bootstrap themes, but almost all of them are designed with a maximum width. Most of the Bootstrap themes are also only for developers, not users, with just the basic ugly Bootstrap sticking out like a sore thumb. Most of the Bootstraps themes aren’t based on a core WordPress theme either, so they can be difficult to figure out how to adjust the styling.
We developed this theme to be unique in these key ways:
- It is based on the WordPress core “starter theme”, so you already know how to style it and override templates and such in a child theme without learning anything new!
- It is based on Bootstrap for cross-browser capability in a fully responsive theme with tons of components that you can use in your content, such as buttons, navbars, sliders, etc.
- It is designed to be a modern, “flat” (or technically “almost flat”) theme with full-width colored sections and full-width images. This really brings your content alive and allows the reader to focus on that content instead of the theme itself.
- Its open source AND completely free. Most themes like this are considered “premium” themes and cost money. Our hope is that user’s will love it and theme developers will start using it as a core “framework” as well.
Flat Bootstrap Demo, Download, & Support
Flat Bootstrap Child Theme
The Flat Bootstrap Child Theme is for users to be able to easily and safely customize the theme.
It includes a stylesheet (style.css) for you to override or add CSS styles. It comes with a functions file (functions.php) in case you want to modify any theme functions. You can also, of course, copy down any of the page or post templates from the parent theme and modify them within your child theme. This way you can still receive updates to the parent theme for bug fixes and new features.
This child theme is included directly in the Flat Bootstrap WordPress theme. It is in a subdirectory though so it’s not active by default. Just copy it up to your theme root directory and make your changes there.
Flat Bootstrap Developer Theme
We have also written a child theme that is specifically for developers or power users. It is a “lean and mean” child theme that strips the theme back to “just the basics”, so you can build it up however you want. Since it is for developers, the Flat Bootstrap Developer theme is posted on GitHub.